Tuesday 18 February 2020

That foot in the mouth moment.

I've got used to the taste of foot in my mouth, the saying means that you:

1) Say something without brain engaged.

2) Tell a truth as you see it, that no-one really wants to hear.

3) Upset someone by saying something they shouldn't hear but overhear by accident

I'm great at all the above. 

I'm a fairly kind person and I really don't mean to hurt anybody, and if I do I regret it and it is by accident, and I spend the rest of the day beating myself up about it.

Working at the BBC gave me plenty of opportunity to do this, and could I stop it happening?
Apparently not.

Here's a sample of non brain engaged speaking.

On seeing a yummy mummy I knew from my son's public school, shopping in a posh supermarket with her skin looking the colour of burnt toast.
"Oh my God - what the hell happened to you?" Loud enough for whole supermarket to hear. 
"I tried a new thing," she whispered, well lets face it, there was no point whispering, everyone within earshot, was listening thanks to me. "I bought melamine tanning injections over the internet to top up my tan, I used a bit too much."
"You think?" I gasped looking at her tanning before my very eyes, already a shade darker from when I started talking to her.
"You're the only one who's noticed it." She smiled blinding me with her newly whitened teeth,

I wandered away thinking Melamine? Surely that's kitchen worktop stuff, but bit my tongue,
Image result for Dr Enys 1970sthinking she's had enough trauma for one day.

Here's an example of the truth no-one really wants to hear.

I ws Pouring tea and coffee in the green room for actors waiting to go on set in the 1990s. I as always chatted to them. One of them, a really handsome chap called Richard Morant was talking about how old he was.  I had worked with him before and knew how old he was, and when he told his age to the younger actors. I immediately spurted out jokingly, "Oh you're such a liar! I worked with you on Poldark in the 70s."
Silence, then laughter. I was told in no uncertain terms that all actors lie about their age and that was how they got their jobs. He's dead now, so very sad, and I hope he forgave me, a silly young woman.

Finally,
Upset someone by saying something they shouldn't hear but overhear by accident.

Walking to the canteen with my current husband, who is 15 years younger than me, we were discussing the shoot.
"Who's the woman actor?" He asked "I don't think I've seen her before."
"She was a Liver Bird," I replied
He looked blank at me and shrugged his Goth shoulders, "Would I recognise her?"
"I doubt it, it was a long time ago, she changed a lot, bit of a Deader Bird now."
Suddenly hearing the clip clop of Nerys' Hughes heels in the corridor behind us we turned to see her with a face like thunder. I should have apologised, yes I should, but I laughed out of shock.
Image result for nerys hughes  Apologies to all those famous people over the years I have hurt by accident, trying to impress others with my "knowledge". What this has done though, is help with my writing. Every character good or bad that I have ever met, appear in my books. The nice and the nasty. They say write about what you know, so I do.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment