Thursday 7 September 2017

I'm so glad August is over!

August for me was like a bad firework night - there were a few bright sparks, but the rest of it was like a dud roman candle - even worse as if it rained all the time.

September I have always liked, even as a child, going to a new term at school. I loved getting all my brand new exercise books and covering them with wallpaper or brown paper. The smell of the ink and polish and the scratchy collars of a new uniform shirt.

Many years later it was for my son, it was always about buying clothes slightly too big to allow him to grow as the term progressed. New shoes, new football boots, new plimsolls, new wellie boots - none of those could be bought bigger, but replaced every three months as he grew out of them.

At work it was the early start of the Autumn schedules, followed by Christmas, and stings (adverts) for the programmes to come, had to be made.  I loved the smell of the electricity in the studios, getting lost in the countless circles of Television Centre, working deep into the night walking through corridors that lit up as you passed by to save energy.

Then there was the September that I married my husband, today 15 years ago in fact. We got married in Sulgrave House, George Washington's ancestral home, but more important to us a 17th Century House still with it's furniture and fittings and resident ghost!

This Anniversary is the first one that we've been apart during the day - we normally go somewhere - usually Lyme Regis or Tregenna Castle, but Andy used all his holidays up looking after me while I was ill.  So he is at work and I'm at home doing paperwork and all the necessaries of life to keep a home going.

Tonight I will cook his favourite, melt in the mouth roast chicken and roast potatoes with green vegetables and we'll have fancy ice cream for dessert.  I bought a film for us to watch Guardians of the Galaxy 2.  So we can snuggle down together and pretend we've got to the weekend!

I wish I wasn't still deaf, I hate it. I can hear some things now in my left ear but my right ear is not working at all.

But this is all small beir when I think of those poor people suffering under Hurricane Irma.
I don't understand why scientists haven't invented something to reverse the pressure in the centre of the storm and dissapate it.  Surely raising the low pressure in the eye would stop
it building into a twister.  Only a theory, I know nothing much about this sort of thing. But if in the 1960s the Russians could seed clouds to make it rain - something could be done to stop these storms growing.

Anyway that's enough for now.  Have a good weekend everybody and look after yourselves and each other.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment