Wednesday 21 February 2018

Goodbye to Overdown

Been the hardest to write, but I need to get on with the history books.

I want the Overdowners to have a happy ending, but as always, as I start to type they go their own way across the pages, weaving nefarious doings, and leading me into blank corners with a smile, as if to say, "How are you going to get us out of this one?"

It's not the love story I wanted to write, it has taken a turn down a dark alley and the research has been scary. It has become the paranormal "Love Actually" which was not meant to happen.

I have to leave them to it.  Like my Avatar that I created for Second Life many years ago, I had to free her to do her own thing. Goodness knows where she is now. A digital me out there fighting dragons and slaying monsters, drinking in taverns and climbing castle walls.

In reality, I want to be out in the green fields of England feel the fresh air on my face, turn back time to the 17th Century to cook at the Living History the many ancient recipes I have collected over the years. 

I want to dance in the beer tent and get swung with my feet in the air, I want to stagger back through the camp, ever so slightly drunk and fall into my Cavaliers' arms at the end of the night.  Re-enacting is a kind of Second Life, an insight into times past, food eaten, fun had.
Bravery shown.

So Goodbye Overdown, and hello to A Farthing for Oxford, the story of a family caught in the Civil War amongst the dreaming spires.  Mainly based on true events, and with life stories of real people who lived at the time interwoven with fictional characters.

Coming to Amazon in about 3 months.  As for Overdowners I need a big net to catch them all before they run off the pages and start other adventures.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment