Friday 28 April 2017

Serendipity

It's strange  how things happen really. How Serendipity that little muse pokes her head into your life now and then.

In a blizzard of day to day chores of cooking, car insurance and book research she popped in yesterday to say hello in the strangest way possible. My dear hubby is doing my book cover design for 1955 and came across some photos taken by a photographer who wanted to document London in 1955, he sent them to me, and this one surprised me.
Trafalgar Square, London, 5 November 1955 Because I am the little girl standing with my mum in the middle of the pigeons, you can just see my coat, sticking out from behind my mum's cream coat. To the left my Dad and Auntie Flossie and Uncle Ted are buying birdseed from the man in the white coat.

I remember that day very well, we walked back home and my feet really hurt but I wanted to be a 'big girl' and not get carried. Carol my sister was about 14 months old and was at home with 'Nanny Cooper' our grandmother. I was four I think. One of the things I remember about that day was a woman who had a pigeon fly into her face because it had been scared. Her face was black with soot and she was shrieking and wiping her face with a hankie.

Serendipity has struck twice in my life. The first time was with my first husband, when we were dating I showed him picture of me as a little girl on holiday on the Isle of Wight. Behind me and my sandcastle was another family with a little boy. My first husband's family, and he was the little boy!

Serendipity means happy accident.  I think it's also a gift, it reminds us how we are all connected whether we think we are or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment