Tuesday 30 October 2018

Halloween

A Farthing for Oxforde is out in paperback and Kindle, being reviewed by the Guardian newspaper sometime next week, and by the Witney Gazette and The Oxford Mail.

It has been a tortutous two years of writing and research, the stress of which gave me a minor stroke, called a TIA.  I was at Edgehill in full 17thC kit when it happened, on the living history, demonstrating how to get musket balls out of the wounded soldiers with my new musket ball remover. It was a stiflingly hot day, the event was crowded.  I had just stopped for a drink when my husband noticed my face had dropped on the left side, and I was speaking rubbish. 

I ended up in Warwick hospital with my husband and sister in full 17thC soldier's kit along with me.

I can't write any more about that because even thinking about it today brings on a panic attack.

It's a year since it happened, the book has been re-written three times. The research has been endless. It's strange as no-one actually sees you doing the research, they think it hasn't been done. 

I have been in long discussions with the Cromwell Museum in Ely, they questioned my research into the man. I actually managed to find things out about him of which they claimed they knew nothing. It was stressful and worrying, but I didn't have the time to re-find all my paperwork and hand it across to them, and why should I? Everything is out there if you look for it. It was just me doing the looking.

A friend who is not really interested in history said she couldn't believe what the women went through, and that the book was so exciting she couldn't put it down.

She loved the characters and said she could see it as a film.  I wish!

Anyway time to go. Have a good day, buy my book on Kindle £2.99 is a small price to pay for the work and pain it cost me.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment