Tuesday 29 March 2016

IDENTITY

I am getting a lot of twitter followers, mainly writers and re-enactors and their photos are all very glam, including a lady who said she has near death experiences as a hobby.
Strange that, I spend all my time trying to keep alive.


So anyway, I'm not very glam, I have red hair, freckles, glasses and vampire teeth (natural I'm afraid) which is cool at 16 but not as an older lady.  I have even had a friends child ask me why I am so ugly. Kids dontcha just love them?

In January I had the pleasure of checking Sealed Knot ID cards and looked at young, fresh faced, dark curly haired men on the photo. Then looked up to see a grizzled greybeard with a bald head.  About 75% of the photos of all the men and women were like that!  The other 25% were actually young.

Although SK ID cards are not always checked, my hubby put a picture of a macaw, a bright red yellow and blue parrot as his, and kept it for two years. No hubby is NOT a parrot!

I did a brief spell in Human Resources at the BBC filing ID cards with Personnel files, and as the IDs were done every two years, as I filed them I watched young fresh faced enthusiastic staff grow older year by year. Greyer more lined, the women's facelifts periodically, it made me feel rather sad.

What brought all this on you may ask.  The author's photo for my book, I answer.

I usually hide behind a persona, steam punk for this blog, taken a year ago. Before that I hid behind Corfe castle wall and peeped out wearing sunglasses. I feel best as my 17th century 
farmer's wife persona and my lady persona.  But as myself - well.....


Here I am, last year at Compton Verney in my Roman sandles and big hat and sunnys.
Is that me?  Well it was that day.
                           Seventeenth Century Farmer's wife again last year in August

In my wedding dress for photoshoot for my Women of the English Civil War book last August
 
Who am I really?  I wish I knew, I can be any of my characters in my books. I can be me
the author. I can be stunning, but never beautiful, I am who I am.  So I have bought a cream
lace shirt and black jacket and skirt for my photo and will have my naturally wild hair tamed by Emma my talented hairdresser.  So then I will play the part of the author.
 
As Shakespeare said:
 
All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players;
They have their exits and their entrances,
And one man in his time plays many parts,
His acts being seven ages.
 
So very  true.
 
All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players: they have their exits and their entrances; and one man in his time plays many parts, his acts being seven ages.
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/w/williamsha166828.html
All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players: they have their exits and their entrances; and one man in his time plays many parts, his acts being seven ages.
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/w/williamsha166828.html
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment